Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Leeks
Brussels sprouts are the unsung hero of the table. I think they are a great test of character: Anyone who loves them must have good taste. My mom (a fantastic cook and my first culinary influence) makes a delicious version of this recipe adding toasted, chopped pecans. To be as great as her, spread out 1 cup of pecans on a baking sheet and toast at 350°F for 5 to 10 minutes. Chop 'em and toss in with the Brussels sprouts and leeks before serving. Yum. Thanks, Mama.
- 4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 nice leek, sliced into 1/2" pieces, including the green
- 3-4 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 tsp aged balsamic, or 1 teaspoon balsamic plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tsp shoyu (soy sauce)
- sea salt
- Steam the Brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes, or until just tender enough to pierce with a fork. Remove from the pot and shock under cold, running water just after steaming to arrest the heat to prevent overcooking.
- Then steam the leek for about 4 minutes, until perky green and tender. The time will vary depending on the size of the veggies and the cut of each. Remove from the pot and shock.
- Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, umeboshi plum vinegar, aged balsamic (or balsamic plus maple syrup), and shoyu. Adjust to taste and season with sea salt as desired.
Copyright © 2005 by Renée Loux
Serving Suggestion: Excellent warm or at room temperature. Stores well for a day or two.
Calories from Fat 61 (64%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.