5 Ways To Save
- Time and Money Savings Tips
- May 6, 2016
Get cooking with five ways to save money and five ways to save time. A few do both!
Skip ingredients list
Skip Suggested Content
- Use everything you buy. Don’t let 1/2 an onion, a small piece of chicken or 1 cup of lettuce leaves go to waste. Tuck it all into a tortilla or add to a salad. Most leftover veggies are the perfect base for great soups, salads and casseroles.
- Eggs are an inexpensive protein that are quick to prepare. Plus, eggs are a good match for using up those leftover veggies.
- Head to the Hispanic food section for bargains on dried spices and herbs. In addition to pantry basics, you’ll find good deals on less common items, like curry powder.
- Take advantage of “Buy More Save More” deals on foods that won’t spoil quickly. Canned goods, dry pasta and grains, vacuum-packed foods and frozen fruits and vegetables have a long shelf life.
- Be creative and look for economical alternatives. For example, canned diced tomatoes cooked with a Mexican seasoning packet or blend gives you salsa for less cost.
- Cook foods on high to brown them, then reduce heat to medium or medium-low to finish cooking.
- While you’re chopping veggies, chop extra and store in airtight containers. Most leftover veggies will last for days and using them in other recipes will substantially reduce your prep time.
- Use tofu as your protein. It requires only heating, not cooking. Just make sure to keep it refrigerated before using and check the expiration dates.
- Cook one pot meals. A quick sauté, then simmer and you’re done. This also reduces clean-up time!
- Use quick-cooking grains, like Raley’s quick-cook grain mixtures or freekeh.
You’ve planned the picture-perfect Easter dinner. Now, what to pair with your main ...
It’s almost Easter—time to decorate some eggs! These are some great options for ...
If you ask us, a perfectly seasoned, flame-grilled salmon delivers peak flavor. The same ...
There is nothing better than grilled meats hot off the barbecue. But if you want to make ...