- ☐ 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- ☐ 1 mango, diced
- ☐ 1/2 medium onion, diced small
- ☐ 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ☐ 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- ☐ 4 TBS Morton and Bassett jerk seasoning, divided (see note if want to make your own jerk seasoning)
- ☐ 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ☐ 8 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- ☐ 1 tablespoon lightly packed light brown sugar
- ☐ 1 teaspoon molasses
- ☐ 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ☐ 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ☐ 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- ☐ 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ☐ 1 lime, juiced
- ☐ 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ☐ 2 teaspoons honey
- ☐ 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ☐ 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ☐ 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ☐ 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- ☐ 1 mango, small dice
- ☐ 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- ☐ 1/2 medium red bell pepper, small dice
- ☐ 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ☐ 2 tablespoons
- Jerk Seasoning:
- ☐ 1 TBSP onion powder
- ☐ 1 TBSP garlic powder
- ☐ 2 tsp dried thyme
- ☐ 2 tsp light brown sugar
- ☐ 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ☐ 1 tsp black pepper
- ☐ 1 tsp paprika (smoked or sweet)
- ☐ 1 tsp ground allspice
- ☐ 1 tsp dried parsley
- ☐ 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ☐ 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ☐ 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ☐ 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- ☐ 1/2 tsp cumin
Make the BBQ Sauce:
- Heat a small saucepot over medium heat, add ½ TBS oil and onion. Sauté until lightly browned and translucent, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Add mango and 1-2 TBS jerk seasoning, stir until mango onion mixture is well coated with spices. Allow spices to toast, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer until mango has softened and sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, blend sauce to smooth consistency. Set it aside.
Make the BBQ Chicken:
- Over a tray or plate, coat chicken in 1-2 TBS jerk seasoning and ½ tsp salt on both sides.
- Heat a large sauté pans over medium heat and add 1 TBS oil. Add chicken in an even layer (if necessary, do more than one batch). Cook until browned on the first side, about 3-4 minutes. Flip, cook until it reaches 165°F on a thermometer when inserted in the thickest part of each piece, about 3-4 more minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken to a cutting board, allow to cool slightly. Remove sauté pan from heat but do not clean. Set pan aside to be used again. (We will make slaw while chicken cools)
- 4. When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice into bite-sized, shredded pieces. Place sauté pan over low heat and add cut chicken along with 1 cup of reserved BBQ sauce. Using a spatula or tongs, stir chicken until it is well coated in sauce. Remove from heat.
- Toast buns under a broiler or in toaster oven.
- Top each bottom bun with 1/2 cup BBQ chicken mixture and 1/4 cup slaw, top with remaining bun half.
- Serve extra BBQ sauce on side as desired
Mango Red Cabbage Slaw
- In a medium bowl, whisk lime juice, rice vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, paprika and cumin until well combined.
- Add mango, cabbage, bell peppers, green onions and cilantro to dressing, stir to combine thoroughly.
- For the best flavor, cover and refrigerate 10 minutes before serving.
Note: To make your own jerk seasoning mix follow these directions and store in a tightly closed container.
Salt-Free Jerk Seasoning:
- In a small bowl or jar combine all ingredients and mix well.