Alan Simonis Esparto, CA
First-generation California farmer. Raley’s farmer for close to 40 years.
- Corn contains plant-based compounds which are essential for eye health.(1)
- When dried or popped, corn is considered a whole grain.
Tips from Alan Simonis:
How to Select
- Check the flag leaf hanging off the end of the husk. In Alan’s experience, a longer flag leaf is generally superior to shorter flag leafs.
- Short or missing flag leaf? No problem, look for a green color to the husk and check for small kernels all the way to the tip
How to Store
- Store in the refrigerator’s crisper drawer.
- To shuck, grab silk and husk on one side and pull down. Repeat on other side, like a banana.
A Farmer’s Story
“Raley’s comes to our packing shed every day, leaves a trailer and takes away a full one,” Alan says. “We’ll get an order, pick it the next morning and load it into the waiting trailer to be delivered that day.”